In order to reduce the backlog within the parent and grandparent sponsorship applications – the government of Canada issued a 2-year moratorium on these applications.
In the meantime, a new Super Visa came into effect on December 1, 2011 which allows eligible parents and grandparents to visit Canada for up to two years. The multiple-entry visa is valid for up to 10 years.
To qualify the applicant must:
- be the parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada;
- be found admissible to Canada;
- provide a written commitment of financial support from their child or grandchild in Canada who meets a certain economic threshold;
- prove that they have bought Canadian medical insurance coverage for at least one year; and
- complete an immigration medical examination.